Seminary Tour 2012

Seminary Tour 2012
I'm back up and running from Columbus, Ohio! Click for some "fun facts" ;)

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Gammon Theological Seminary

Have you ever watched an episode of Cheers?
Someone walks into the bar and everyone is just so happy that they're there? Smiles, and handshakes, and that strong positive greeting?
Welcome to my visit to Gammon Theological Seminary.




I spent a lot of time talking with Dean, Dr. Albert Mosley after I arrived on campus. He is a vessel for history and information that he loves to share with anyone and everyone- let him teach you! During this time I discovered that the school has a rich history dating way back to the mid-late 1800's. Originally, the seminary took the form as the religion department of Clark University in Atlanta, but later formed it's own institution. Currently Gammon is the United Methodist part of the Interdenominational Theological Center- ITC- which is home to the seminaries of several other different denominations including Baptist, Church of God, Presbyterian, African Methodist Episcopal, and Christian Methodist.


This was so interesting to me!!
We attended the student-organized chapel service which was filled with prayer, scripture and beautiful music and all of the various denominations worshiped together. And while it was different from what I'm used to, I loved it because it painted this beautiful picture of what Christianity could look like. This service let me see God differently and I am so thankful for that.
Even in their classes, these denominations are brought together to learn and to converse about their beliefs. And while, especially in the class that I was able to sit in on, there were strong opinions and disagreements, I still felt as though the students were learning from each other and taking in to consideration a viewpoint different from their own. In these classes, students are encouraged to voice their convictions but also to raise their doubts and to be shameless about it! This school produces proud and faithful "Gammonites," as they like to call themselves :)



Gammon has other opportunities to grow and apply your learning to the outside world. Through The Center for the Study of Religion and Race, you can choose from three different programs focused around different areas of spiritual growth. The one that spoke to me the most was the Racial Justice Institute which works to equip people of the church with tools that will allow them to confront and act upon racial injustice. Check it out- I know I will!

So you're thinking: this is historically an African American institution and you, Amy are...well...not African American.
Of course, I'll give you my response to that:
Initially, I was really apprehensive about visiting Gammon. I knew that my preconceived ideas of what the school itself would be like had somewhat clouded my hopes of the visit. So I had to throw out the rule that I made up for myself that said, "Oh I'd never go here," "There's no place for me here." And I was right to do so because the eight hours I spent on campus were some of the most enjoyable that I have spent in a long time. I learned, I worshiped, I laughed, and I shared- none of which I could have done without breaking down my assumptions and just being present where I was.
In that space, I did not see color; it was impossible to even try. Instead of looking for the differences, it was profoundly easy to see that our common thread was this love for God and for exploring our calls. I didn't feel like a brown person in a sea of black, but instead I just felt like Amy among Clement, Dean Mosely, Derek, Kevin, Tariq, Elyse and countless others. There was that feeling of being accepted despite being different...and that's the key.
You have to know, as I learned, that the Gammon community is open to everyone with a heart for ministry and they will welcome you and your call with great warmth and love.



I relaxed...for the first time in weeks.
I found wise and revered guidance from a new friend.
I learn what a "hush puppy" is...!
And I found another piece of the puzzle that I have been looking for throughout this journey.

This day was a Holy day.
& Gammon is a wonderful place :)

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for showing Amy around the campus for me Clement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I pray you well on your other visits & discerning! Great hanging with u and I'm glad you enjoyed Gammon! And Well-written! -Elyse

    ReplyDelete