Seminary Tour 2012

Seminary Tour 2012
I'm back up and running from Columbus, Ohio! Click for some "fun facts" ;)

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Slow Down.

You know it's gotten to a certain point when it's your dentist who's the one suggesting that you "reduce the stress" in your life and that it would be wise to "take bed rest."
My initial reaction was to just laugh while thinking, Lady, please. If you slow down you die.
To be honest, though, I didn't realize just how much I have had going on until I took ten minutes to sit down to consider why in the world I would need bed rest.
Despite that fact that I kind of live in my car, it's not like I don't see my friends and family, or have fun while I'm with them. I know how important it is to take care of myself and have time to do the things I want to do.
But I'm also constantly reminded about how much needs to be done; that those things have deadlines and that they affect other people- this is also known as responsibility. Blah.
I'm afraid that if I slow down, my motivation to keep pushing forward will cease.

After a conversation with my friend Brittany, I realized just how much stress is both an external and internal thing.
While going, going, going, all day, every day wears on your physical being and makes you drop-dead, drag-out tired, the way that what's going on in your mind affects your being, your soul is just as dramatic. I forget that even when I'm not physically moving, my mind is making up for it.
Even sitting here writing this post my mind is in every direction:
Holy CRAP, it's finals week.
When is that water bill due?
I am soooo nervous for Spring quarter.
Is my family safe?
Dating can be so overrated.
Did I remember to put that kids sippy cup back in the fridge?
I hate this song that's playing.
Am I doing well enough?
I would rather chew glass than go see a doctor!
What's the next step!?

So how do you do it?
How do you take time to regroup, to process but also get everything else in the world done?
Which battles do you choose to fight?
Where is the line between how much you can give before there's no more left?

I'm bound and determined to find that balance- which just adds another thing to my To-Do list, haha!
The balance between being a learning, growing, faithful disciple of Christ and the 21-year old girl that enjoys being with her friends, reading for fun, drinking a glass (or two) of D'Asti Moscato, and saying "to hell with it all! Let's just have FUN!"

I'll be on my way to Atlanta to visit both Candler School of Theology & Gammon Theological Seminary in just one short week. This week serves as my Spring break so while I'll be there for "business," I'll also be spending time with my awesome brothers and hopefully just kicking back and enjoying being in Georgia.
It will be a balanced trip: work & play.

No comments:

Post a Comment