Seminary Tour 2012

Seminary Tour 2012
I'm back up and running from Columbus, Ohio! Click for some "fun facts" ;)

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Too hot...too cold...just right.


It has been a crazy month! And it’s only going to get crazier as the school quarter starts winding down so we’ll make this post short and sweet.

I spent today at United Theological School in Dayton, OH. I’ve been there before, actually. The West Ohio Conference Interns did their own mini seminary tour last summer where we went to MTSO, Asbury & United so I was happy to be somewhere that was familiar and see some familiar faces.
I don’t want to spoil anything too big before I write up UTS’ own in-depth post but I do want to mention this. I met Professor Vickers today. A very educated, well-spoken, holy man who gave me a great insight to this journey I’ve been on this year. He talked with me about how it’s so important to look outside of your conference.
Usually it’s just so easy to agree to the school that is closest to conference because it’s what we know and in some cases that can actually be very beneficial.
I was told this by another staff member at another school months and months ago.
“There’s something to be said for going to school that’s not near your home.”
As young adults we have much more freedom with where we look to educate ourselves.

Personally, I’ve been “raised” to be an MTSO prospect. Not by the pressure of anyone but rather by the influence of the clergy I’ve worked with and experienced within my conference.
And why not? MTSO is a great school!
But so are the TWELVE other schools around the country.
Who’s to say that one of those isn’t right for me?
Not better.
Just…right.
[Insert Goldilocks joke here]

That is the entire point of the tour.
Not everyone can get to all of these schools, or maybe they don’t even know about them in the first place.
So I’m here to give you options.
To expand your mindset about the schools you could attend and open you up to the possibilities that come with those schools, both for your own life and for the life of the church.
God shows up everywhere, not just the places that we know.


Keep an eye out for the UTS post, good luck to anyone wrapping up with school & many blessings :)

No comments:

Post a Comment